Ras al-Khaimah (meaning “Top of the tent” or alternatively “headland of the small hut”) is one of the seven emirates that make up the United Arab Emirates. Its a place of outstanding natural beauty and a place of diverse economic activity.
Akshay kumar’s ‘Airlift’ movie was shot in Ras Al Khaimah. The crew of Airlift stayed at the Hamra Palace Beach Resort in Ras Al Khaimah.
— Ranjit Katiyal (@akshaykumar) March 9, 2015
The locals of Ras Al Khaimah, who’re big fans of Bollywood, jammed the streets to see their favorite Bollywood stars in action.
Ras Al Khaimah (also called ‘RAK’) is the UAE’s northernmost emirate and is surrounded by the fierce Hajar Mountains. People love it here, thanks to its diverse scenery – sandy beaches, sprawling oases, hot springs, sun-baked desert, and all backed by the beautiful, rugged mountains (which is covered in snow as well at times).
Interesting Things to do in Ras Al Khaimah
Water sports, desert experiences, golf courses, historical sites, cultural attractions, Ras Al Khaimah has it all. Here are some interesting activities to do in Ras Al Khaimah.
- Bassata Desert Village: Get authentic desert experience, enjoy traditional Arabic activities with dune bashing, belly dancer, Arabic Tanoura, camel riding as well as Arabic barbecue.
- Prince of Sea: Named after the ﬁrst Arab seaman Ahmad bin Majid, the “Prince of Sea”, is a motorized sailing yacht offering a variety of sailing trips around the coast of Ras Al Khaimah.
- Al Wadi Equestrian Adventure Centre: Offers riding experiences catering for all ages and abilities
- Iceland Waterpark: Offers wide variety of games, water slides and an extensive food court.
- Al Hamra Marina & Yacht Club: Its a members’ club for sailing, yachting and water sports enthusiasts.
- Falcon Show in Banyan Tree Al Wadi: Falconry is one of the famous traditions in the region. Ras Al Khaimah hosts a unique falcon and raptor display at the first desert spa resort in the Middle East – the Banyan Tree Al Wadi.
- Bedouin Oasis Desert Camp: Authentic, one of a kind desert camp, which takes inspiration from the traditional lifestyle of the Bedous (nomadic tribes).
- Historical Sites: Experience the rich heritage of Ras Al Khaimah, History lovers would enjoy visiting the majestic forts and museums – Dhayah fort, built in the 16th century on a mountain overlooking the Gulf, to fight the British troops.
- Saqr Park: Largest public park in Ras Al Khaimah with vast areas of greenery, perfect for adults and kids to unwind and relax.
Water Sports: With a number of beaches and modern equipment, Ras Al Khaimah is the perfect destination for water sports. With a wide variety of activities, choose your favorite sport from scuba diving, sailing, water skiing, jet skiing, parasailing and fishing.
- Seawings: A seaplane adventure which takes off from the pristine shores of Ras Al Khaimah on an exciting aerial tour of the city, giving you picturesque views of the Hajar Mountains, the desert and clear blue Arabian Gulf, as well as the rich culture and heritage of the emirate.
- Golf: Has two 18 – hole championship Golf courses.
- Camel Race: The Camel Race is the perfect attraction for visitors to experience Ras Al Khaimah’s culture and be reminded of its history. It is an entertaining way to spend the morning and an experience tourists are not likely to forget.
- RAK Heritage: Mohammed Bin Salim Mosque is the largest surviving traditional mosque in the UAE, and is still in use in Ras Al Khaimah Old Town.
- National Museum of Ras Al Khaimah: The National Museum of Ras Al Khaimah is located In the western part of Ras Al Khaimah city in a fort that was the residence of the ruling family until the early 1960s. The National Museum houses a collection of archaeological and ethnological artifacts. The Qawasim Room on the first floor contains documents, manuscripts and treaties between the rulers of Ras Al Khaimah and the UK Government, as well as some traditional weapons belonging to the ruling family.
- Al Qawassim Corniche: Enjoy stunning views, savor exquisite cuisines at Al Qawassim Corniche.
- Awafi Desert: The Awafi region of the desert is well known for its famous annual festival. There are children’s play areas, bull fighting, camel riding, football tournaments, horse racing, 4×4 dune bashing, off-road competitions, motor cycling shows and a heritage village.
- Marjan Island: Al Marjan, a series of four connected man-made islands, is located in the west of Ras Al Khaimah. Extending a vast 4.5 kilometers into the sea, the island covers an area of 2.7 million square metres. With waterfront homes, quality hotels and resorts, marinas, private beaches for residents, leisure, retail and recreational facilities, this ambitious development is a truly unique destination.
- Banyan Tree Spa: The exclusive desert resort of Banyan Tree Al Wadi located in tranquil and eco-rich Wadi Khadeja features the award-winning Banyan Tree Spa with lavish treatment pavilions and state-of-the-art hydrotherapy facilities.
- Waldorf Astoria Spa: A place of refuge and restoration; the spa offers signature treatments combined with exceptional care to create a place where guests can surrender and restore personal wellbeing. Two differing product lines are used in the spa; Voya, totally organic, sustainable seaweed products which have been produced on the shores of Ireland by the same family for over 100 years and Rodial; a ground breaking youth promoting range of skin products.