For wannabe singers, there are several good opportunities in the country that can help you get noticed as a singer with potential. The various singing competitions are obviously the first thing that comes to the mind, and you should definitely try to make use of such opportunities, if you’re a teenager.
However competition can be really tough at such events (one bad day for you can mean elimination), and it may not be practical for you to take part, especially if you’re an NRI residing outside India.
But then it doesn’t mean you give up on your dreams. Its easier (than what you think) to record your song and let the world know about it.
Here’s what a lot of teens are doing to enhance the chances of people noticing their talent.
- Record yourself singing a song live, without any background instruments (Difficult, but if you’re a good singer it shouldn’t be difficult)
- You can also re-record a popular recent song in your own voice. Make sure you get the song arranged by a good arranger and properly recorded in a good studio
- Have some more money to spend? Go ahead and shoot a music video. It doesn’t have to be very expensive. If you have access to a big house (big balconies, terrace, garden, and a great view), you can save on the production costs. The shoot can easily be completed in a day.
- Next you need to leverage the digital medium to showcase your talent. Upload your videos on sites like YouTube & Vimeo. Make sure you have a website and a Facebook fan page where you promote your videos.
- Approach/Write to Music directors: This can be a bit challenging (requires an ongoing effort) but you need to try and check with all your contacts to see if you can get in touch with the music people. Did any of your relatives get married recently and had the likes of Vishal-Shekhar or Salim-Sulaiman as guest performers at the event? There lies your hint on how to get in touch with them!