Here are some famous celebrities who have died in plane crashes. Of course, this post doesn’t suggest in any way that flying is unsafe. In fact, going by the statistics, travelling by air is much safer when compared to traveling by train or on road.
The most recent celebrity to join this list is James Horner, film composer and musician, who composed music for films like the ‘Titanic’ and ‘Avatar’. He died after his private aircraft crashed near Santa Barbara, California.
Checkout the super-hit ‘Titanic’ Theme Song, composed by James Horner & sung by Celine Dion
Popular south Indian film actress ‘Soundarya’ was killed when their plane crashed in the outskirts of Bangalore.
Hansie Cronje, former captain of the South African cricket team died in a plane crash in 2002. There were rumors that he was murdered as he was found guilty in match-fixing, because of which he was banned for life from professional cricket.
Aaliyah gave us hits like “Back & Forth”, “One In A Million”, “If Your Girl Only Knew” and so many other great songs. She dies at a young age of 22 years in a plane crash in the Bahamas after shooting a video for the song “Rock The Boat.”
Famous country singer, known for for songs like ‘Take me home country roads’ and ‘Rocky Mountain High’ died when the small place in which he was flying crashed into the pacific ocean.
Here are some more famous Indians, not from the entertainment industry, who died in tragic plane crashes.
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose: Though Netaji’s death remains one of the greatest mysteries, its believed that Subhas Chandra Bose died after his Imperial Japanese Army Air Force Mitsubishi Ki-21 Bomber crashed following engine trouble.
- Homi Jehangir Bhabha, also known as the father of India’s Nuclear Programme, died when the Air India Flight he was travelling in crashed near Mont Blanc.
- Sanjay Gandhi, son of then Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi, died in an air crash near Safdarjung Airpot. Sanjay Gandhi was flying a new aircraft of the Delhi Flying Club.
- Madhavrao Scindia, son of the last ruling Maharaja of Gwalior, Madhavrao Jivajirao Scindia, was killed in a plane crash in the outskirts of Manipuri district in UP.
- Yeduguri Sandinti Rajasekhara Reddy (YSR Reddy), two times Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh died when the Bell 430 helicopter he was travelling crashed in the dense Nallamal forest.